Cultural events in Varna, Bulgaria
Varna hosts many international and domestic cultural events. Every year from May till the beginning of October Varna turns into a croasroad of artists who work in the field of music, the theatre and dance.
Weeks were held for the first time in Varna in 1926. They set the beginning of the International Art Festival Varna Summer.
The May Choral Competition is held at the end of May. At the begginging of June actors and lovers of the theathre come to Varna from all over the world for the theatre festival. June and July are dedicated to classical music. The Jazz fest and the International Folklore Festival are held in August.
Do doubt the two autumn film festivals – Love Is Fully and the Biennale of Bulgarian Film – The Golden Rose, attract numerous fans of the film art.
Every two years the close of the festival summer in Varna is marked by the Internation Festival of Puppet Theatres – the Golden Dolphin.
One of the most prestiguous cultural events is the International Ballet Competition. It was founded in 1964 and is a biannual event.
The resort of Golden Sands keeps the tradition to organize festival and cultural events in the summer months. The magnificent festival of masked dancers is a vivid illustration of the Bulgarian folklore. The two festivals – Jazz and Rock – attract a growing number of young people.
There is a full schedule of Varna events:
- Song about Varna Competition, March
- Frederic Chopin National Competition for young piano players
- Prof. Georgi Dimitrov International May Choir Competition May
- Varna Summer International Festival, June-July
- International Ballet Competition, July
- Varna Summer International Jazz Festival, August
- Varna 2001 International Folklore Festival August
- Day of Varna, August 15
- “Love is Folly” International Film Festival, September
- International Festival of the Popular Urban Song